Monday, May 14, 2007

Helena Middle School


Well the weather is starting to really warm up fast across the Big Sky state which is a good indicator that the rodeos will be in full swing in just a matter of days or weeks. This week I got to go to Helena on Friday morning to visit with the Helena Middle School students. I had so much fun! It was their Vigil Annie days which involved the whole school in a parade and dressing up western. Their day started off with a special treat, an assembly with several special guests including myself. Cowboy poetry was read to them by Montana’s own cowboy poet Mike Logan. I talked to them about setting goals relating to my own experiences through rodeo and Miss Rodeo Montana. Then a crew of cowboys and I explained and demonstrated all of the rodeo events to the school. Thinking I would be the one to explain the girls’ events was a big mistake. The school voted and wanted me to demonstrate the bull riding, of all events. I am competitive by nature so the last thing I was going to do in front of a whole school was fall off! I stayed on for 8 seconds and scored 90 points! I am definitely not cut out to be a bull rider; I was fairly sore in various places the next day. I guess you can say my bull riding muscles have scarcely been used! I signed autographs and talked to some very curious girls who could be Montana’s up and coming barrel racers and future Miss Rodeo Montana’s! It was a great morning.

Saturday was MSU’s graduation so there were many friends in town and in the graduating class. It was a bit of a sad day around here because one of my room mates graduated and the other moved out of the house to go back home, not to mention many of my other friends moving back home or to new jobs after graduation. On the positive side, I was lucky enough to be in town for part of the day and join in on graduation parties, meeting family, and catching up with friends. I have a big weekend ahead of me now. I will be in Great Falls, Missoula, and Kalispell in a matter of three days! Check back next week to hear about that! Best wishes!

No comments: