Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Last Chance Stampede

I am definitely in the middle of the busiest time of my summer. I am sitting in my hotel room in Great Falls waiting for the State Fair and Big Sky Pro Rodeo festivities to begin. The Last Chance Stampede just wrapped up this weekend and boy did I like that rodeo!

I drove up on Wednesday morning to help out with the stick horse rodeo that took place at Capital Sports and Western Wear. There were so many kids that showed up in the 90 degree heat; what a great turn out! They participated in the barrels, roping, and bull riding. That morning I also met Libby, Miss Last Chance Stampede Rodeo and Fair. She is only 15 but shows a lot of promise and interest in getting more involved with the queen pageants. Thursday morning was the official kick off to stampede weekend that started with a kid’s parade. I always enjoy the kid’s parades because you get to see everyone dressed up like its Halloween! At the conclusion of the parade they drew to give out brand new bikes! Another great turnout brought several hundred kids to the park to participate and Lorissa and I signed a lot of autographs. It was also good to see Kirsten, Miss Big Sky Pro Rodeo Princess, who was in town for just one day.

Every night proved to be a great rodeo combined with Kesler stock, 2005 Announcer of the Year, Wayne Brooks and rodeo clown, Brian Potter. Sue and Bailey Thompson of Western Sky Equine brought down horses for all of us girls. I was reunited with Cisco and love him even more every time I ride him! The parade was on Saturday and I think I am getting used to being able to sit in the blazing sun with chaps on without feeling like I am going to pass out! After the parade I went to one of my favorite sponsors, Murdoch's, to sign autographs at their store in Helena. I think I did more shopping than signing!! That night at the rodeo Lorissa and I didn’t realize it but parked next to Fred Whitfield and his travel partner. It was great seeing such a legendary cowboy make an appearance in Helena. I returned to Bozeman that night after the rodeo.

While I was in Cheyenne I was very disappointed that I was going to miss the Thunderbirds air show. The queens got to go but I had to leave before the show. Well it must have been meant to be because this weekend the Blue Angels air show was in Bozeman and flying on Sunday; the one day I was going to be home! I wasn’t going to miss it for anything. They were well worth sitting in the 100 degree heat. I can not imagine what an adrenaline rush it must be to fly one of the FA-18 jets! If you ever have the opportunity to see an air show I strongly suggest taking advantage. It’s an experience I can’t describe in words. It’s truly amazing what those pilots and their planes can do!

No comments: