Friday, July 6, 2007

Cowboy Christmas







During what is known as Cowboy Christmas there is a total of $2.5 million prize money available at 32 sanctioned PRCA rodeos across the country. I was only able to make it to two of the 32 but that kept me plenty busy! I started out in Cody Wyoming at the Buffalo Bill Cody Stampede. What a blast it was too! I got to hang out and room with Crystal Rivers, Miss Rodeo Wyoming. We have been at several rodeos together before but in Cody we had a lot of time for some quality rodeo queen bonding by shopping in down town Cody! Ashley Andrews, Miss Rodeo America also met up with us later on Saturday. Our first event was the kick off breakfast where we learned the Grand Marshall was none other than Donnie Gay. Later on that day Crystal and I felt like little kids going up to Donnie and asking him to take a picture with us. I don’t have it yet, but I assure you, it happened! Saturday night was the Extreme Bulls; I had a feeling of being star struck that night but that feeling seemed to follow me around the remainder of the weekend. Sankey Rodeo brought in some rank bulls and world champions B.J. Schumacher and Dustin Elliot made some pretty good rides. Although all of the queens were kept pretty busy there was enough down time to experience the local history behind the town named after Buffalo Bill Cody. On Sunday we were up early to do a little sight seeing and later that day was one of the highlight of my trip: white water rafting. The river our guides took us down was fairly tame as far as white water goes but Ashley, Crystal and I had such a good time and even got wet! That night was the PRCA rodeo and the only performance I would be able to stay around for in Cody. I rode in the Grand Entry and Crystal and the rodeo committee were nice enough to let me stay in the arena to chase out cattle. The other highlight of my trip to Cody was getting my picture taken with my favorite cowboy…Trevor Brazile! He was so nice to Crystal and I as once again we felt like small children wanting an autograph.

Monday morning I awoke early to get to Livingston in time for the parade; it was a blistering hot next few days in Livingston. I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Katie Krouse the Miss Livingston Roundup queen and Chanda, Miss Big Sky Pro Rodeo was also there to help out with sponsor flags. We survived the heat through the parade and rodeo in Livingston. (I was pretty excited when I saw that Trevor Brazile was up in the performance in Livingston that night too!) I got to talk on my favorite radio station XL Country 100.7 with Mark Longie, host a kiddie parade on Tuesday, and of course watched the fireworks every night. This coming week holds a very busy schedule for me. I can not wait for it to get under way because I am off to the infamous Calgary Stampede and my hometown rodeo the Wolf Point Wild Horse Stampede! Stay cool Montana!

No comments: